About two months ago...

Sometime in late 2014, on a Saturday morning, I found myself walking around the house quietly singing a song to myself. I didn't think much of it until my wife turned to me and said "You know, it's been a real adventure the past 15 years to discover what song you're going to sing to yourself every morning."

I protested that it didn't happen nearly that often, but she assured me that most mornings, I had some tune or another stuck in my head, and they rarely repeated.

So, I decided to do a daily blog post about the song I have in my head each day, just to see where it leads.

2015-02-20

If you twist and turn away

If you tear yourself in two again; If I could, you know I would If I could, I would Let it go

I came to U2 in a way that was probably pretty unusual for a person of my generation.

When I was in 7th grade, my favorite vocalist was Frank Sinatra. I would listen to it all the time, turned up as loud as I thought I could get away with, and sing along.

I have no idea where I even heard Frank to start loving his music - it's not as if my parents were listening to it. My dad couldn't stand it - he used to get so upset at me for liking the kind of music his dad had listened to - and I couldn't even guess what kind of music my mother enjoys…I don't recall her ever singing along to anything, or even really showing any particular interest in music.

So here I am, a 13 year old kid who loves Frank Sinatra; one day at school while trying to convince a friend that they should also be listening to Frank Sinatra, they mentioned in passing that I should check out U2, as they often cited Frank Sinatra as influencing them musically. So I went down to the Music Castle (the only real record store in town at that point) and asked the guy if I could listen to some U2 music. He went and got a record (which was really odd at the time - this was the height of the casette tape era, and before the "vinyl revolution") and played "Bad" for me.

I was hooked. Unfortunately, I can no longer remember who it was that I was having that conversation with, so I can't even properly thank them here. It's been more than 25 years since they made that off-hand comment, and it's been a wonderfully rich 25 years of music from this incredible band. Thanks, whoever you were.

Listen to it on on Spotify.

Watch it on YouTube:

No comments:

Post a Comment