About two months ago...

Sometime in late 2014, on a Saturday morning, I found myself walking around the house quietly singing a song to myself. I didn't think much of it until my wife turned to me and said "You know, it's been a real adventure the past 15 years to discover what song you're going to sing to yourself every morning."

I protested that it didn't happen nearly that often, but she assured me that most mornings, I had some tune or another stuck in my head, and they rarely repeated.

So, I decided to do a daily blog post about the song I have in my head each day, just to see where it leads.

2015-02-02

It started out as a feeling...

which then turned into a hope...

Again, I can trace the roots of this one to events of the previous day: when I went looking for my copy of the American Playhouse filming of "Into the Woods", I found one of the Narnia movies in its case instead.

I think I would classify myself as a moderate fan of Regina Spektor prior to hearing this song for the first time. But something about this track so effectively epitomizes the FEELING of C. S. Lewis' work, that I gained an all new level of respect for her. The music itself has a deep sense of melancholy, balanced by the Aslan-sounding promise of the lyrics - I'll come back when you call me; no need to say goodbye.

And then there's that last verse, which I think tells us the story of Lucy in Caspian in such a few short words:

Now we're back to the beginning, it's just a feeling, and no one knows yet;
but just because they can't feel it too doesn't mean that you have to forget.

Because it stirs so strongly the emotions I remember feeling that first time I read the Narnia novels (back in second grade - wow, that's been a few years now!), this is one that gets stuck in my head, playing over and over again throughout the day.

Listen to it on Spotify.

Watch it on YouTube:

No comments:

Post a Comment